[lug] (no subject)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jun 5 15:47:57 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 15:30, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> I am trying to get my ATA 100 controller to work with the 2.4 kernel.
> I have been running with the ATA 33 controller with no problems, and my
> two hard drives are identified as "hda" and "hdb".  But when I try to
> boot with the ATA 100 controller, they seem to be identified as "hde"
> and "hdf".  With LILO pointing to hda, the root partition cannot be
> mounted and the kernel panics.

Hi Dhruva,

With Lilo, you could add another boot entry that has everything the same
except it points to /dev/hde such as:

image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.18
        label=hde-example
        read-only
        root=/dev/hde7
        append="hdc=ide-scsi hda=none hdb=none hdd=none"

But Lilo is a pain.  Any chance you could you switch to grub?

I have a system thats booting off of /dev/hde3 with grub (using the
additional on-board Promise ATA-100 controller, not the main ATA-66
controller for /dev/hd[a-d]) and it works quite nicely.  As a bonus,
grub also allows you to edit the boot options *AT BOOT TIME* which is a
huge help if you suddenly find that you made a mistake in the
configuration.

Heres a grub.conf example:

default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Custom Kernel
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /bzImage-2.4.18 ro root=/dev/hde3 hdc=ide-scsi vga=1
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18.img

hth,
Ed

--