[lug] Digital Cameras and Linux

Terry Branaman t-branaman at attbi.com
Fri Jun 7 14:09:54 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 12:18, Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:
> Hi,
<snip>
> with in an intelligent way), I'd like to get a camera that plays well
> with Linux, so that I don't have to downgrade to Windows just to pull
> photos off the camera.
>
> Is this a no-brainer or is this a difficult choice? I just have no idea.
> Input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan

I have a Nicon Coolpix 880 camera that uses Compact Flash cards. I don't
try to control it from my computer (e.g. as a web-cam), so I can't tell
you anything about the possibilities for that.

In order to simplify transferring the pictures from the camera to the
computer, I got a USB card reader (SanDisk ImageMate). It works just
fine with Linux (as well as that other O$); it is treated as a removable
drive.

So, if you simply want to copy pictures from the camera to the PC, then
(IMHO) the important factors are: 1) Does the camera have the features
that you want? 2) Can you get a card reader that works with Linux?

Terry Branaman