[lug] Digital Cameras and Linux

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jun 7 12:56:56 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 12:18, Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:

> Is this a no-brainer or is this a difficult choice? I just have no idea.
> Input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Brian,

I've setup a half-dozen digital cameras in labs with computer control
(Linux, of course) to capture and download images at regular intervals
to create time-lapse digital movies of various experiments (using
OpenDigita, gphoto, gphoto2, and jPhoto for the drivers).  I've also
taken these cameras out in the field and used them like everyday folks.

Based on those experiences, I can make the following recommendations:

  Excellent camera:  Kodak DC-4800

  OK cameras:  Kodak DC-265/290, DC-240

  Avoid at all costs:  all the current Kodak DX-series cameras
                       are *awful* with Linux

I've only used Kodaks, but I'll soon be switching to another brand since
all their new "consumer-grade" models are low-quality with really cheap
(read: missing important features) firmware.  Its a shame to see their
quality plummet.

hth,
Ed

ps - If you can get a used or refurbished Kodak DC-4800, its a very
     nice model.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  URLs:        http://www.eh3.com