[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Jun 18 15:04:36 MDT 2002

Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> Just to put the ping results into the right perspective.  Even the
> land based wireless systems have fairly high latency times.  My Sprint
> Broadband connection ranges between 50ms and 500ms with rare but
> occasional multi second delays.  Wired services do much better in this
> department.  Downloads however are usually around 300kB/s and up.  So
> for web browsing wireless is great but for ssh takes getting used to.
>
> Ferdinand

Just an FYI for the list.

Those ping times are for Sprint Wireless Broadband(tm) only. Other
wireless broadband technologies may have significantly different
bandwidth and latency characteristics. For instance, the wireless
broadband service that I just had installed has fairly stable internal
network latency (internal to the ISP) of about 50 - 100ms (depending on
time of day), which is about what I saw with ISDN. The service I have
uses much smaller cells than Sprint does, which means far fewer people
sharing a single set of frequencies. However, the download speed I see
is rarely over 100kB/s -- and I'm not complaining about that, having
upgraded from 14kB/s.

-Rob