[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 18 16:42:27 MDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 04:00:59PM -0600, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>My ping results were no scientific experiment.  The Internet itself can add a significant

I find mtr useful for testing because it's kind of a cross between
traceroute and ping.  Or, if you like, it's a ping showing every host along
the way with latency and loss.

For example, on my connection here I see that it's about 3ms to go across
802.11b and a wired connection to my firewall, 13ms into the bowels of
attbi, and around 65ms to Kevin's machine.

At our hosting location, it's 1ms to our upstream router, 5ms to level3,
and then jumps up to 49ms for the hop to FRII, with Kevin's box at 51ms.
Bummer, we used to have <10ms pings to Kevin's place from the hosting
environment...

Sean
--
 "8 out of 10 Starships that took the Folger's challenge didn't know they
 weren't using Dilithium Crystals."  -- Sean and Anne being silly one night.