[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Jun 18 17:19:28 MDT 2002

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

>I find mtr useful for testing because it's kind of a cross between
>traceroute and ping.  Or, if you like, it's a ping showing every host along
>the way with latency and loss.

Excellent point. mtr is what allowed me to measure "internal network
latency" of my ISP. It's not too fair to judge "average ping times" to
random places on the net. The packets are  outside the control of the
ISP once it hits a major backbone. (Though some ISPs have particularly
bad peering arrangements, and that *is* in their realm of control.)

-Rob