[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Jun 18 18:24:31 MDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Nate Duehr said:

> Even stranger, I think the static IP they give you is non-routable.  You may
> want to check on that, but a friend has it and gets assigned 10.x.x.x
> network addresses.  He's happy with the service, it's fairly reliable and
> the only thing available in his area, but you definitely can't host anything
> on it.

That approach is common in Bogota as well; and one pays $65 for ADSL or
$95k cable both 256k.  I think that the ISP's offering that kind of
service should be selling it at a significant discount compared to service
with routable IP.  In addition to precluding any hosting capabilities,
VoIP and video conferencing are also problematic i.e., no P-to-P.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net