[lug] speaking of HTML validation and validator.w3.org

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jun 30 20:34:32 MDT 2002

Tkil wrote:

> DS> Can anyone tell me if there is a w3.org "officially accepted" way
> DS> of creating a body text for an email anchor HREF?
>
>    http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2368.txt
>
> Have you tried:
>
>    mailto:foo at bar?subject=hi%20there&body=foo%20bar
>
> Or similar?  (1) only the first header/value pair gets a question
> mark; the rest are ampersands.  (2) the contents of "body" are
> url-encoded.
>
> t.

Unfortunately, the validator still does not like it. I URL encoded the
body text, and special characters, including spaces. I still had to use
an actual "...?subject=...&body=..." statement with ampersand (URL
encoding it takes away the special meaning that is needed for those '?'
and '&' characters, and they then show up in the subject line instead of
body), but it was completely URL encoded where possible, and it worked
fine, but the w3 validator still complains that body is an unknown
entity. I'm wondering if maybe the loose.dtd/transitional HTML 4.0 does
not understand "body"? This would explain why it thinks "body" is an
unknown entity, despite the RFC.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com