[lug] speaking of HTML validation and validator.w3.org

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sun Jun 30 23:11:27 MDT 2002

DS> Unfortunately, the validator still does not like it. I URL encoded
DS> the body text, and special characters, including spaces. I still
DS> had to use an actual "...?subject=...&body=..." statement with
DS> ampersand (URL encoding it takes away the special meaning that is
DS> needed for those '?'  and '&' characters, and they then show up in
DS> the subject line instead of body),

Yes, I misspoke; I meant what you did, where each of the header/value
pairs was URL-encoded, not mangling the actual functional parts of the
URL.  Sorry about that.

DS> but it was completely URL encoded where possible, and it worked
DS> fine, but the w3 validator still complains that body is an unknown
DS> entity. I'm wondering if maybe the loose.dtd/transitional HTML 4.0
DS> does not understand "body"? This would explain why it thinks
DS> "body" is an unknown entity, despite the RFC.

Hm... if it's complaining about entities, maybe you need to HTML-quote
the ampersands?

   mailto:foo at bar?subject=hi%20there&body=foo%20bar

t.