[lug] RE: Dual Boot with Windows XP (J. Wayde Allen)

bof bof at pcisys.net
Fri Jul 5 07:19:56 MDT 2002

Joe Betts wrote:

><snip>
>
>As far as the other partitions are concerned, they are probably done by the
>manufacturer.  But also, I think XP has a built in capability for remote
>troubleshooting, diagnostics, and repair.  I'd leave them in place just in
>case something needed to be done in that fashion.  For example, if a new BIOS
>load is needed, chances are you'll have to boot in XP to install it.  I
>haven't heard of anyone providing that capability in Linux just yet.

Additionally, if you ever have problems and need to call the tech
support types, most will refuse to listen if the original OS is not on
the system, and may even claim that the warrantee is voided.

At least that was my case with Toshiba, who does not support Linux and
insisted that I reinstall Windows 98 before they would talk --- even
though the problem was clearly hardware and not software related.

BOF