[lug] building a server room

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jul 7 13:11:17 MDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:43:18AM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
>Anyone know of a good resource for calculating BTU/hr estimates as well
>as humidity needs requirements for several rack mount systems?

We just talked to our A/C contractor to figure out what size of system we
needed.  If your A/C contractor can't tell you what size system you need to
get rid of X watts of heat plus deal with the thermal loading of the room
you're in, you should probably find another one...

However, if you're talking about a couple of rackmount machines in the 300W
power supply range, unless the room has a LOT of thermal loading you're
probably going to have problems finding an A/C system that's *SMALL*
enough.  A couple of typical PCs will probably be fine with a quarter tonne
of cooling.

For UPS power, check on ebay and plan to replace the batteries.  The cells
cost around $100 to $150 to replace if you do it yourself, but I was
getting 2U rackmount 1400VA SmartUPSs for around $250 when I got a bunch
for our server space.

Sean
--
 It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.
                 -- Rene Descartes