[lug] Debian LinuxPPC and XServer question

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sat Jul 13 15:03:40 MDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 02:28:48PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> rm at fabula.de wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >i just installed Debian PPC on my G4 Mac,
> >everything works fine so far but i couldn't figure
> >out how to set up the XServer (XFree-4) -- is the
> >framebuffer mode really the only choice i have? It's
> >working nicely but kind of dissapointing after getting
> >used to the MAC OSX Quarz engine :-/
> >Anyone with more PPC experience here?
> >
> >  TIA Ralf Mattes
>

> Ralf, when I was playing with my G3 iMac and Debian last year, I'm
> pretty sure I was using a native driver for the video card in it... just
> like on PC's, it really depends on what video chipset you have...

> The debian-ppc mailing list was great help in setting things up on it.
> Lots of smart folks in there... I'm just a linux PPC newbie (GRIN) who
> hasn't done much with it.

I was pretty impressed by the ease of installation using the pre-release
woody ISOs. I tried installing Debian on the box about half a year ago
but i wanted to install linux on the second hard disk and i never got
the thing to boot. This time it worked without a glitch. I think the itch
to spend days fighting with yaboot wasn't strong enough -- after all,
OSX feels rather familiar and i really love to work in ObjectiveC/Cocoa ;-)

Hmm, i fear my graphic card is an Nvidia - not to much chance of getting
a native driver ;-(

  Ralf