[lug] cable modem network topology

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Fri Jul 19 10:36:02 MDT 2002

Look into setting up your firewall as a bridge.  I think you'll need a
kernel patch to allow firewall to work with bridging.

Bridging is nice because it turns your firewall into a switch instead of
a router.  It won't need an IP address and you won't need to run DHCP on
the firewall.  This is good because the only ways that I can imagine
getting 3 DHCP IP addresses on one computer involve horrible hacks.

This link looks promising:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Bridge+Firewall+DSL.html

I have to say I've only heard about this.  I've never done it myself.