[lug] meaning of logwatch message

kevin at scrye.com kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jul 24 16:31:07 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael J Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> writes:

Michael> Anyone know what this line in my secure log means: secure:Jul
Michael> 23 21:52:38 brahe xinetd[933]: START: sgi_fam pid=1721
Michael> from=0.0.0.0

the 'sgi_fam' server was accessed from 0.0.0.0 with process id 1721.

Michael> The pid changes with each entry.  They showed up today for
Michael> the first time.  Is this someone pinging my machine or was I
Michael> running something I didn't know I was running?  What is
Michael> "sgi_fam"?  It's not in /etc/services.

yeah, it's run from xinetd. See /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam.

It's a file watching service. If a file or directory changes, it will
notify the interested process. See 'man fam'.

kevin