[lug] cheap network cards/quality

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Tue Jul 30 22:00:34 MDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 08:21:08PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> bof wrote:
> >D. Stimits wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking for *cheap* 10 MB/sec (RJ45 connector) PCI nics (full
> >>duplex capable), that are reliable.

I know I missed the bigginning of this thread, so this might
have ualready been suggested, but....

All NICs I have bought (about a dozen at this point I think,
all still in use or waiting for a new system) , have been
either Linksys Ether16 (ISA 10 MBit) or 3-COM cards.  I buy
them all off of E-Bay.

I buy Linksys cards if I need rock-bottom price at the
moment, but 3-COM cards have *never* failed me, and if all
you need is 10 MBit PCI, the price should be about $10 - $25
if I recall correctly (feel free to slap me if I am wrong ;).

The benefit of 3-COM cards, is that I have yet to have one
go bad that 3-COM would not replace for me.  A friend of
mine has even occationally bought bad cards from ebay and
gotten them replaced. (and no, he did *not* deceive 3-COM
about the situation.)

Just my bit on the subject.  Myself, I would never buy a new
network card for personal use unless absolutely needed it
the same day....

--David