[lug] FireWire

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Fri Aug 2 15:34:12 MDT 2002

It's my understanding that IEEE 1394 hardware is supposed to follow the
OHCI standard: Open Host Controller Interface: a standard layout of
ports, memory space and commands.  Linux uses the ohci1394 driver module
to support this.

I believe this is present only in kernels 2.4.17 and higher.  I did have
a few problems with devices that were not used in a long time showing up
as disconnected.  If that happened, I had to unplug and replug the cable
to the device.  I don't know if that is the Linux drivers, the Firewire
card, or my device, since I've only tried the combination I have now.

I don't know about speed differences.  The 400 mbit transfer rate is
standard for all Firewire devices.  Transferring digital video is the
same speed in Windows or Linux.

--
Jonathan Briggs
jbriggs at esoft.com