[lug] Max ramdisk size?

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Aug 6 17:29:25 MDT 2002

Thanks Jonathan, but all I really want to know is what the limit on
ramdisk size is. I do know how to configure large ramdisks. I just don't
have a box with 16GB of memory right now to determine whether I can make
a single 15GB ramdisk.

The default ramdisk size can be configured during kernel config time,
but I prefer to use the "ramdisk_size" boot option. If I have to resort
to building my own kernel (shudder), I'll make the ramdisk a module and
use the "rd" module options to set the ramdisk size.

tmpfs is an option, but since I want all of the data pinned in memory
and *never* want it swapped, ramdisk is the preferred option. (In fact,
I'd rather crash the box due to OOM condition than swap the data.)

Thanks again.

-Rob