[lug] Cat 5e cable color codes

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Aug 10 13:05:04 MDT 2002

I know if I am consistent, and use the same wire straight through on all
of the RJ-45 connectors for the ethernet wire, it will work. However,
there are color codes, and therefore some "expected or traditional"
color-to-pin design. Unfortunately, the color codes on the connector are
different than the actual cable colors, so this is not entirely
possible. I am trying to find out recommended color-to-pin for these
wall connectors.

The cable:
   Cat 5e, 8 wires, NOT stranded, in 4 twisted pairs.
   Colors of cable twisted pairs:
     - Solid Green; white w/ green stripe.
     - Solid Blue; white w/ blue stripe.
     - Solid Orange; white w/ orange stripe.
     - Solid Brown; white w/ brown stripe.

The RJ-45 modular socket colors are more difficult to describe, partly
because they are not really "paired". It is a push-down type of
connection, with a 2x4 set or rows of self-cutting wire receptacles. So
I place the insulated wire over the notch, and when the housing pushes
down on it, it simultaneously cuts through the insulation of each wire
and connects to it (no soldering, no crimp tool, just push the locking
plastic onto it and the wires squeeze down and connect). The problem is
the color coding (diagram on side of connector); the 2x4 row of colors are:
  ORG/org  blu/grn  BLU/GRN  brn/BRN
  GRN/grn  blu/org  BLU/ORG  brn/BRN

In the above, small letters are "stripe", capital letters are
"solid"...where stripe is a small diagonal colored line, and solid is a
rectangular block. [I can draw something in gimp if this is confusing]

Can anyone give me recommendations on what color "should" go where?
Although simply being consistent would make it work, I don't want to
leave "non-standard" color arrangements if possible.

FYI, the modular jack is from "NETKEY", a division of Panduit Corp.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything on their websites, nor
via google. The part number if anyone knows about this brand is NK5EMWH.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com

PS: If there are any favorite web sites with information on making
cables for ethernet (especially with diagrams), I could probably use
that too.