[lug] SSH notes for meeting August 8, 2002

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Sun Aug 11 11:30:31 MDT 2002

* On 2002-08-11 16:41 Rob Judd <rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu> wrote:

> So my question is: are there any user-definable scripts that KDE and Gnome
> run where you could put this line as a regular user?  I would like to add
> that information to my slides.

This article:
  http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue67/nazario2.html
suggests:
  A second modification you can do is to start your X desktop, such as
  GNOME or KDE, as the argument to ssh-agent. This will cause every X
  client locally started to be aware of how to communicate with the agent,
  allowing for greater ease when you use terminals to log in to other
  hosts.

This one couldn't get that working:
   http://www.eanet.cz/~lvanek/develop/linux/kdevel_sf/
So they suggested:
   #
   Starting SSH Agent as terminal child

   Second way is here. Type following commands under KDE terminal:

   # ssh-agent csh
   # ssh-add
   # kdevelop

   First command start SSH Agent, and new shell as their child process.
   Second command add RSA passphrasse to SSH Agent. Third, run KDevelop.
   KDevelop run as SSH Agent child, and you may use KDevelop CVS
   integration.

This book chapter:
   http://www.togaware.com/linuxbook/ssh.html
has similar instructions for gnome.