[lug] passing config parameters to autoconf during .src.rpm rebuild

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Mon Aug 19 18:56:44 MDT 2002

Rob Riggs wrote:
> Alan Robertson wrote:
>

> Yep. Because if the RPM has to change for some reason, I've got to muck
> about with autoconf to submit a patch. Too much trouble. Problems with
> that type of packaging systems tend to get ignored by me. Ignoring
> problems makes me feel bad. I don't like to feel bad. Ergo: I don't like
> those types of RPMS. It's obviously a personal problem. :-)

	;-)

You pointed to the real problem with what we do - it isn't what people
expect.  As a result, there's a bit of a learning curve.  While that's
almost always the case with something innovative, it isn't always the right
choice.  For the moment I like the choice we've made - we have a particular
set of problems that we're trying to solve, and it helps us with those.

BTW, it kind of annoys SuSE too, since their packaging system stores the
specfiles under source control, and they're used directly by them.  So,
things like "make rpm" are way outside their paradigm.

So, I just tell them to do a ./ConfigureMe config, grab the spec file, and
put it into their system.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh