[lug] D-Link Wireless Card Configuration

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Aug 23 16:25:07 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 14:37, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> OK, I've been tinkering with a D-Link DWL-650 802.11b wireless card, and
> have a few questions.

Hi Wayde,

I'm using KRUD 7.3 and, with the following DHCP config and the default
KRUD pcmcia config, was getting decent connectivity from all
PrismII-based cards that I tested including models from Netgear, D-link,
and Addtron:

[AAA at BBB ~]$ more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
[AAA at BBB ~]$

A friend recommended that I switch from the default (KRUD and RH 7.3)
"wvlan_cs" driver to either the wvlan-ng package or the orinoco_cs
driver for the PrismII chipset.  So I edited the Intersil PRISM2 entry
in /etc/pcmcia/config so that it reads:

card "Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter"
  manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
#eh3  bind "wvlan_cs"
  bind "orinoco_cs"

and I now routinely get better signal strengths and higher connection
rates.  It should work better for you, too.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311