[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 13:29:04 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick wrote:
>>My motive for asking this is that one machine in the newly wired house
>>sometimes spontaneously turns on. WOL has been turned off in the BIOS as
>

> WOL will turn on a PC that is "completely" off.  Contemporary MBs have
> "flea" power whenever plugged in.  Many have a little LED that comes on
> when the system is plugged in and goes out a few seconds after it is
> unplugged.  While flea power is present the system will turn on whenever
> the pins on the WOL header are shorted.
>
> Long story short, unplug the little cable that runs from the NIC to the
> MB.  If the problem persists it isn't WOL, if it goes away there is a good
> chance it is a WOL issue.

The Linksys LNE100TX definitely supports WOL, but does not appear to
require any such cable (at least on PCI 2.2 w/ ACPI). This is one of the
points of strangeness, I *wish* there were such a cable to remove, it
would be easier to disable.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com

PS: These are very new Linksys cards.