[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 15:32:10 MDT 2002

Mr Viggy wrote:
> Actually, depending on the game, speed is not an issue.  Latency is!

Definitely, I am a bit of a picky person when it comes to networking;
I'm the guy that can't stand wireless for this reason (add to it
security). But I made a rather big discovery: Latency on cable is far
better than 56k. This should not be quite so true, because cable uses
the equivalent of "multiple parallel roads" in places, rather than
"faster speed limit" on a "single road". For latency to improve, one
would believe that individual paths along the route must be faster, and
that putting parallel/latent paths together would not help. It appears
that buffers for these cable routes are bigger, and that if one of them
is slow, the other gets through...so latency looks like it can be the
same on both, but the variation on cable is far more solid. [the above
is mostly guessing, I know it does not hold any authority]

> :-)
>
> Games like Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc., send very little information
> over the conenction.  However, you want that information to get there
> and back as fast as possible.  Otherwise, other players in the game
> appear to "jump" around the screen.

You should see how bad FreeSpace 2 is. FreeSpace 2 is a vast improvement
in networking over the original FreeSpace, but a 56k is unplayable even
on the improved part (now if it would just stop crashing on Win2k the
cable would be useful for FreeSpace 2).

> The problem with analog modems (56k) is that there is about a 100ms
> latency just to get through all the hardware!  So, when I was on a
> modem, 180-190ms pings were the best I could get.  Now, on DSL, I get
> pings at 100ms or less.  OTOH, Sprint BBD (wireless) has speedy transfer
> rates, but really bad latency.  A friend told me he can't play at all
> from home.   When he does want to play from home, he uses his old 56k
> modem and dial's in!

56k is actually a hybrid of digital/analog. The ISP end has the
equivalent of ISDN digital connect for feeding downloaded data to the
user, but not for user uploading (this is why download is faster than
upload on a 56k). But I can say that when connecting and pinging the
remote side of the 56k connect, I got quite good ping times, far less
than the 180-200 ms to other locations. Much of the latency seems to be
added under heavier load, I suspect that less buffer space (relative to
faster types of communications) is a small part of the problem. With a
56k, the slightest "bunching" of data in a burst can kill latency
quality in a hurry. Bursts of larger amounts of data do not seem to
bother cable latency. Wireless (and especially encrypted wireless) has
the most horrific reputation for game play latency.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com