[lug] Sending e-Mail under Linux

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 08:41:10 MDT 2002

Thanks for all the replies, that really helps.  I just finished reading
through some of the FAQ's at sendmail.org, and that helped, too.  It seems
like much of the newbie info is so broad and vague that it's of little use;
but the manpages and such are so complicated that (for now) they are way
over my head.  I feel stuck in the middle - I know enough to be dangerous
(or foolish), but not enough to be useful!  (Although I did know the diff
between POP & SMTP, I was just typing faster than my brain could think!)

One final question - I've heard that spammers could use my computer as a
mail-relay (something about telnetting via port 25?).  How can I detect
and/or prevent that from happening?  Or is that even a concern for a home
user?

Thanks again,
John

.