[lug] Sending e-Mail under Linux

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Aug 29 08:46:13 MDT 2002

John:

> One final question - I've heard that spammers could use my computer
> as a mail-relay (something about telnetting via port 25?).  How can I
> detect and/or prevent that from happening?  Or is that even a concern
> for a home user?

Open relaying is a concern for *anyone* who's got a direct Internet
connection, home users included.  Many spammers employ portscanners
that sweep over a range of IP addresses and find servers whose SMTP
port (25) is open.  Then they relay their mail off it.

If you have a static IP, you're a juicier target than someone whose IP
changes every time they go online.

Three solutions present themselves, in increasing complexity:

1) Disable Sendmail.  This will close port 25, and force you to use your
ISP to send your mail.  All ISPs provide a mail relay for their users,
and AT&T should be no exception.

2) Use a firewall.  Block port 25 (and nearly everything else, in fact).
This will allow you to still use Sendmail locally to send your
messages-- although, as Warren pointed out, some mail servers will
refuse mail from "localhost".

3) Use selective relaying, so you define which IPs can use port 25 to
send mail.  Obviously you'd allow yourself (127.0.0.1), and potentially
allow your friends (with their static IPs) to relay off you.  Not
recommended, but possible.

HTH,
Jeff