[lug] mount NTFS

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Sat Aug 31 23:34:36 MDT 2002

Read only is good, because AFAIK, NTFS write is still experimental.

Now, as far as VMWare goes, depending on how you setup your VMWare
"disk" you can't directly mount your hard drive.  For example, if you
setup a "virtual disk" on your NTFS drive, you need to treat your RH
VMWare installation as a seperate machine on your network.  So, in order
to mount your NTFS file system, you actually need to use Samba, or the
'smbfs' filesystem.  Which is actually better!  Why?  Because, like I
said, NTFS write is still experimental and can screw up your disk!

OTOH, if you install RH on the same hard drive as your Windows OS, but
you boot directly into it, you would need to use the NTFS file system to
mount it; because the file system is on the same harddrive as the OS.

Think of VMWare's virtual disk as if it were a completely different
system on a network connected to your host system.

So, to make a long story short, check out Samba, and the smbfs file system.

Viggy