[lug] scrollmouse and xemacs

Todd Ruskell truskell at Mines.EDU
Wed Sep 4 21:04:51 MDT 2002

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my scrollmouse to work under xemacs.  I came
across the mwheel lisp extension, which on my debian system is located in
/usr/lib/xemacs-21.4.6/lisp/
I have what I understand to be both the compiled version (mwheel.elc) and
the source (mwheel.el.gz).

Looking at the source, it says to add the following lines to my .emacs
file:
;; (autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support.")
;; (mwheel-install)

I tried doing this with both my .emacs and .xemacs-options files.  I even
tried it removing the ;; at the beginning of each line.

Everytime I launch xemacs, I don't notice any errors, but I always get
"button4 not defined" and "button5 not defined" when I try the scroll.

I never have gotten used to lisp, and will probably never be an (x)emacs
guru.  What other configuration parameters do I need to look at?  Do I
need to check for a certain path?  Should I copy the .elc file into my
.xemacs directory?

Alternatively, is there another method to activate the scroll?

Thanks for any help.

Todd