[lug] scrollmouse and xemacs

Rob Judd rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 5 09:26:06 MDT 2002

> I've been trying to get my scrollmouse to work under xemacs.  I came
> across the mwheel lisp extension, which on my debian system is located in
> /usr/lib/xemacs-21.4.6/lisp/
> I have what I understand to be both the compiled version (mwheel.elc) and
> the source (mwheel.el.gz).
>
> Looking at the source, it says to add the following lines to my .emacs
> file:
> ;; (autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support.")
> ;; (mwheel-install)
>
> I tried doing this with both my .emacs and .xemacs-options files.  I even
> tried it removing the ;; at the beginning of each line.

This won't so anything unless you remove the semi-colons from the start of
the lines, so it is good that you did (those are elisp comment markers).
I just use
(require 'mwheel)
and it works, however, I don't think this is your problem.  From your
error messages it sounds as if the mwheel package loaded fine.  Those are
what I would expect if X is not configured to work with a scroll mouse.
Do you have any other applications that work with it - terminals, web
browser, etc.?

You should have either

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

for XFree86-4, or

ZAxisMapping  4 5

for XFree86-3 in the mouse section of your X config file.

Hope this helps.

Rob