[lug] Minimal Linux?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Sep 4 21:36:12 MDT 2002

Usually because the distros release so often, I end up just hacking away
and slashing out stuff after the installation rather than create a
custom CD or anything like that.

However, in the past I have hacked on CD installs to remove stuff and it
*is* possible.  A friend just pared down RH 7.3 to a single CD-R with
all the stuff needed for a particular project for lots of people.

Another friend just recently crammed RH 7.3 onto a 256 MB Compact Flash
card, just to see if he could do it.  It worked.  Whether or not the CF
card would survive having a swap partition on it is an exercise we
decided not to find out about... (GRIN)... CF only has a certain number
of write cycles per bit... once you exceed that, you're in
no-mans-land...

rpm -e is your friend!  (GRIN)

If you want a mainstream distro that installs very little in the default
install, I'd say probably Debian.  You can stop the install process even
before the "base" section is loaded if you like, but I wouldn't
recommend being that sparse!  (GRIN)

Nate