[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Sep 6 16:15:17 MDT 2002

Justin-lists wrote:
> Well, I took out the pci modem and put it back in the box so I can return it
> to the store I bought it from this weekend. I put my isa modem back in the
> linux box and I'm stuck at the point where minicom dials the isp and
> disconnects just as the tones stop. I couldn't get any further than that and
> logs don't tell me anything and nothing diagnostic wise gets printed to the
> minicom window. I put my login/passwd in pap/chap-secrets and tried all
> the /dev/ttyS* ports. It seems that the modem only works (in minicom)
> under /dev/ttyS1, which makes sense because the modem comes up as com2 in
> windows. However, when I try wvdial and set the modem to /dev/ttyS1 in
> wvdial.conf, it fails to initialize the modem. It just says modem not
> responding.

Justin, can you post the output of "setserial -a /dev/ttyS1"? Also,
change the phone number and name/pass in /etc/wvdial.conf, and post the
remaining contents? If possible, you mentioned an initialization string,
post that too if you can. I think Wayde is right, your modem is
basically doing what it should, the only thing I can think of at the
Linux side (other than data configurations like passwords) that might
interfere is the wrong serial port setting.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com