[lug] i830 graphics trouble

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Sep 6 17:04:03 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 13:19, David Owen Kritzberg wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've been trying to install linux on my Dell Inspiron 2600.  I
> understand that the problems I am having are caused by the 830
> graphics card embedded in the i830 chipset.  I've seen a post on
> 'linux-laptop.net' describing how to work around this problem Red Hat
> 7.3 with a patch and a recompile of the kernel.  This is more than
> I've ever done as far as hacking linux goes.  Has anyone got the 830
> graphics working in any distribution?

Hi David,

I've never gotten Linux and XFree to run on an i830-based laptop, but I
did a quick search and found the following page for a Xi Graphics
(commercial) X server that supports your i830 hardware:

http://www.xig.com/Pages/Atop/LaptopIndividualSupportSpecs/Generic-INTEL/Chip-i830.html

OK, its not a free option ($99), but it does look like one way to get
both Linux and an X server running on your machine.  And Xi Graphics
does offer a free time-limited demo so you can try-before-you-buy.

If you'd prefer to go the XFree route and would like some help with the
kernel patch option that you mentioned, I'd be happy to work on it at
the upcoming Installfest.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311