[lug] WINE

Drew Lane drewlane at qwest.net
Mon Sep 9 07:48:06 MDT 2002

>Give it a try.  Not everything works, but you don't have a heck of a lot
>to lose.  I don't know if it installed on RedHat by default, but you can
>get it easily.

There are certain programs I use on Win that I require before
I could ever completely switch over to a  Linux desktop.  For
example, I use Adobe and Macromedia software extensively
(e.g. PhotoShop and Flash) and I'm sure there are a lot of other
people in my situation.

I know there are some nice programs out there for Linux that will
do something similar, but I already know how to use these programs
and the time investment makes it unlikely of switching any time soon.

So, I think getting something like WINE to work well under Linux
would be important to the future of Linux unless someone could
convince companies like Adobe to port their apps to Linux.

Since we are starting to see many of these programs available for
Mac OS X, I would think it wouldn't be that difficult to get them
running under Linux.  What's holding them back?

Regards,

Drew