[lug] Permission denied attempting to run setiathome

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Sep 11 10:51:52 MDT 2002

* Franklin Bowen (fmbbowen at dimensional.com) wrote:
> Unix oldie but Linux newbie and I'm obviously missing something.
>
> I think it's a vfat issue because I moved the executable to /root, chmod u+x
> and it runs.  But I can't chmod +x the executable on the vfat partition (I
> assume due to vfat limitations).  I can write to this directory because I
> extracted setiathome from the .tar file.

I would suspect that perhaps the VFAT parition is being mounted without
execute permissions enabled.  So even though VFAT itself can't support
permissions, Linux will enforce it on the entire partition.

Try adding 'exec' to your options in /etc/fstab and remount it, then give
it a try.

/dev/hda1    /dos        iso9660  defaults,user,noauto,exec        0 0

Is an example

HTH,

Tim