[lug] Cleaning up /var when it gets too full

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Mon Sep 16 09:09:03 MDT 2002

> When I set up KRUD 7.3, I allocated a partition size of 125 MB for /var.
> Now it has some 117 MB in it, so it is almost 100% used, and I can't
> print anything because CUPS can't get enough space in the spooler for
> its print jobs. Surely I don't need all the stuff on /var, since it
> wasn't on the system when I set it up initially  --- I thought /var was
> for a temporary holding area, so no files on it would be permanently
> needed and could be deleted as necessary.

You seem to be thinking of /var/tmp.  Lots of stuff sits around in /var.
Is it a mail server?  If so there is probably lots of mail in there
somewhere.  What do you do with old logs?  It's a good idea to keep them
for a good while, but with >200M var you will probably have to bite the
bullet and clear some of the older ones out.  I don't know about KRUD, but
RH recently relocated the default location for the webserver's data into
var.

Have any unallocated disk?

-Peter