[lug] Cleaning up /var when it gets too full

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Sep 18 22:01:22 MDT 2002

> You seem to be thinking of /var/tmp.  Lots of stuff sits around in /var.

On a related note, many of us are strong believers in using multiple
partitions for /var.  The general rules are:

* /var/log gets its own partition,

* /var/spool gets its own partition, and possibly /var/tmp, and

* every major application gets its own partition (e.g., /var/spool/mail,
  /var/spool/news, /var/lib/postgres (which contains the database), etc.)

This may seem like a lot of effort, but experience shows that it
eliminates a *lot* of problems.  It's a lot like that old commercial
with that guy saying "you can pay me now, or pay me later...."

Bear