[lug] Cleaning up /var when it gets too full

Chip Atkinson chip at rmpg.org
Mon Sep 16 09:16:40 MDT 2002

What I do is
su -
cd /var
du -k | sort -n > dustats
Then I look at dustats and decide what to get rid of.  If you don't care
about keeping them, the log files get pretty big.  You can also modify
logrotate's files to keep fewer logs.  This may be a security risk though
because of losing intrusion information.
The spots that fill up for me are /var/log and /var/spool/mail/

Chip