[lug] new to Linux

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Oct 1 07:51:40 MDT 2002

You have a bad config file (I'm guessing you knew that!).  You need to
create a config file.  Fortunately, there are some programs to do that.

Before I go any further, let me suggest that you definitely plan on
coming to the installfest on the 12th.  The install fest is for
perfecting your install, not just getting a basic install.  So bring
your computer and any problems you are having.  There will be people
there who can and will help.  Okay, back to the config file.

If you do "rpm -q XFree86" to you get a version like XFree86-4.x.y-z
(where x,y, and z are digits) (version 4) or do you get XFree86-3.3.x
(version 3)?  In order of preference, here is what to try.  ?First,
make sure you have the manual for your video card and monnitor handy.

If you have a version 4 you can try running "X -configure".

For version 3 (and maybe 4, too) make sure you've installed the
Xconfigurator package and run Xconfigurator.  This is a pretty wrapper
around the next method.

You can also try (esp for version 3) xf86config which is part of the
XFree86 packages.

At the end, you need either /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (for version 4) or
/etc/X11/XF86Config (for version 3).  Try running "startx" again.

Once startx works for you, exit out of X and try (as root) "telinit 5".
This should start the graphical login system.  If that works okay, edit
/etc/inittab and set the "initdefault" to 5 instead of 3.

Try playing with the "switchdesk" command to try different desktops.

Hope that helps,

Michael