[lug] new to Linux

Aaron Vogel aaron at vogel.nu
Tue Oct 1 00:38:52 MDT 2002

I have installed RH7.3 and can boot to Windows and Linux seemingly alright.
When I get to Linux I type in my name and password and then type in 'startx'
to attempt to get to GNOME because I am helpless in the text version.
However, after i enter that in, I get a stream of text and finally an error
message that go something on the order of:

Parse warning on line 102 of section keyboard in file /etc/X11/Xf86Config
Ignoring obselete keyboard "LeftAlt"
Parse error on line 102 of section keyboard in file /etc/X11/XF86Config
"Meta"  is not a valid keyboard in this section

(EE) problem parsing the config file
(EE) error from xf86HandleConfigFile ()

and/or

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on x server ":0.0" after
0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events renewing

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I essentially can not figure out what I have done wrong and and do not have
the slightest idea of how to fix it, especially when not in a GUI

            -Aaron Vogel