[lug] CYA and a RANT

Scott A. Herod herod at dimensional.com
Wed Oct 2 12:14:28 MDT 2002

Hello,

I've been given contracts to sign similar to those that you mention
below and refused.  The employers were always open to negotiation and
typically I merely added a phrase to the effect that they only owned the
code that I wrote which were part of my responsibilities.  This whole
thread reinforces the statement that you should always get, read, and
negotiate a contract for any work that you do.

For the original poster, I would suggest that you call it a learning
experience and let it go.  Next time, make sure to get a contract and
include in it the provisions that you wish.  I doubt, however, that
anyone would agree to get you to do work if they lose rights to it once
you leave.

When I have taken a contract (either temp. or for full-time) I also add
a note that some of the code that I provide belongs to me but that they
have perpetual rights to it.  For example, I've got a nice (I think) set
of socket classes and there is not point in writing it again.

On a somewhat related note: I am pretty angry at a reporter on NPR
yesterday evening who lumped Linux and Open Source advocates in with
WarChalkers and wireless network sniffers.  Just because we use and
advocate a "free" operating system does not mean that we feel that we
can illegally use others property nor that we are free labor.

Scott