[lug] new distro

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Oct 6 13:45:13 MDT 2002

* j davis (davis_compz at hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>  So after using Redhat8 i want to go back to 7.3....but if 8 is
> the future of redhat i want to get out now. Could someone suggest a Linux
> that is stright regular linux That has a nice update and package manager.
> How is suse and debian. Do you suse and debian users have a hard time
> getting stuff to work that works out of the box in rh? I dont mind
> re-lerning
> some stuff...but my next distro, i would like to think i can use it 5 or 10
> years before the ultimate power corrupts it. Maybe rh8 was just what United
> Linux
> needed.....Where do recovering RedHat users go next?

I tried SuSe for a little while, it was OK, but even more RedHat than
Redhat. ;-)

I have now been using Debian for a couple of years -- it is far and away
my favorite.  Getting things installed and working has proven to be far
easier for me, on Debian.

Case in point, just got an email about a vulnerability in the Tomcat
server from Debian Security.  How hard was the fix?

As root, type:  'apt-get upgrade && apt-get update'

And all is well.  The Debian package manager is very nice.  I didn't
find a whole lot of stuff in Debian that confused me.  Most things are
fairly sensible, and not all that different from other distros.  There
are a lot of nice features (like the alternatives sytsem, the menu
system, the package manager, the make-kpkg tool for kernels, I could go
on.)  Debian is a complete distribution.

Give it a try.  Some say the installer is hard, but I have never had any
trouble with it.  If you can read, it should work just fine.  The only
hard part would be the partition set up.

Tim