[lug] rh8.0

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Oct 6 14:24:25 MDT 2002

>>>>> "j" == j davis <davis_compz at hotmail.com> writes:

j> Hello, I recentley installed rh8.0...My opion so far....dont
j> like. I cant figure out how to make the stupid redhat that used to
j> be my gnome footprint on
j> my start bar go away. I hate that on my start menu that
j> applications are referd

This looks like a bug in gnome. It doesn't have any way to change the
main menu icon. :(
With kde, you can simply go in and change your theme from the redhat
Bluecurve theme and get the kde gear icon back, but in gnome you are
stuck.

You could submit a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com

j> to buysome generic name....its not good enugh to get the software
j> for free, I think redhat needs to leave the desktop alone....it
j> makes me fear that redhat
j> will come some propritery p.o.s. if it keeps makeing "redhat"
j> specific changes...

well, I am not redhat, but my understanding of the reason they made
those changes was to reach a wider audience and make things less
confusing to desktop users that might never have seen linux before.

You can always do what I do and run windowmaker. :)

j> like choosing a fugly redhat "bluecurve" theme over say one of the
j> nicer themes that have been in gnome for a long time. I was very
j> excited for the new redhat

That theme is to make things easier for new users. You can change the
theme to one of the other ones if you are an experenced user.

j> ...snipp...

j> xmms to my desktop...now i have a stupid liitle pencil in a "no"
j> sigh..  like a no smokeing sighn....I am sol glad redhat or gnome
j> put that there..  it does make my slick desktop look like shit, but
j> i am sure that it means something really important...can someone
j> tell me how to make it go away?

I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you be more clear?

j> When will O.S. makers figure out that not all users like there
j> desktop to look like some XP piece of shit. And not all users want
j> to spen 2 hours to get the manufatures crappy logos off of
j> everything..  thats why i liked linux...nobody telling me i have to
j> have anything..now i got have a stupid red fedoria on my start

indeed, not all users want there desktop to look like that, but many
new users do. Experenced users are much more able to make changes to
make things look like they want to. New users have no idea how to make
things simpiler. ;(

kevin