[lug] [OT] Web Server Question

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Oct 16 16:01:14 MDT 2002

To browsers it will look pretty much the same. To spiders and other agents,
it depends upon how they are written.

To some extent, how well you can fake static HTML depends upon the engine
you are using. For example, take the LastModified date.

If you query the last modified date, and always get a -1 you can be pretty
sure that it's dynamically generated. Another would be whether your engine
sets the content length header or not. Finally, presence of cache-control
headers or Pragma headers would be another indication that it's dynamically
generated.

In Java servlets, you can write your own implementation of GetLastModified()
to return a specific value. Additionally, you can set the content length by
streaming to a byte buffer to get the overall length, and then writing that
buffer to the output stream.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm
Voice: 303 438 9585