[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Dale R. Hill daleh at Hill-Eng.com
Tue Oct 29 20:15:32 MST 2002

I am trying to set up Samba so that I can share files with my Win2000
workstation. I installed the samba 2.2.3a-6 from my 7.3 distro. When I
execute: rpm -qa | grep samba I see: samba-common-2.2.3a-6 and
samba-client-2.2.3a-6 so I am assuming that I have all of the correct
pieces. But how do I start samba? The book I have (RH Linux Bible 7.3)
indicates to simply type: "smb on" but there is no smb executable on the
system. In looking at the HOW-TOs on samba.org they seem to suggest starting
the daemons, smbd and nmbd. After doing this however I can't see the Linux
workstation from the Windows workstation.

Could someone please give me a couple of clues here.

Thanks in advance,
Dale