[lug] Linux-compatible wireless webcam solutions?

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 19:03:37 MST 2002

Hi,
I'd like to have a small wireless webcam at my house (with at least a 50-ft
range, but preferably 200-ft.) that's compatible with both Windows and Linux
software, including the ability to publish either images or video to the
web.  I've been considering using it as an weather-cam, either pointing it
out a window, or physically moving it outdoors.  I'm also interested in
trying it out for security applications around the house.

I've been doing research at various websites, and it seems like there are
literally a dozen different ways to set this up, but the two that seem to
make the most sense are these:

1.  Use a webcam that has built-in 802.11b support, and only requires a
3-12VDC input; then couple that with an 802.11b hub at the desktop end.
(Unless it's possible to receive the feed directly with just a wireless card
sitting in one of my PCI slots on my desktop system?) Some models include:
D-Link DCS1000W ($362); Trendware TV-IP200W ($316); Link-Server CWC-7100
($335).

2.  Use an analog mini-camera that has a built-in 2.4GHz transmitter, and
comes with a receiver, then plug that analog video into my ATI All-In-Wonder
card.  The most well-known of these is x10.com's X2 camera ($80), but I
heard the video & the range kinda sucks.

Other solutions seem to be bulkier, have more wires, and have prices that go
up to $1800 per camera.  Does anyone have any experience with any of these,
or know of any other relatively easy-to-implement solutions?

John Dollison
855 Mohawk Drive
Boulder, CO 80303

(303) 499-7769  (Home)
(303) 506-3876  (Cell)

Your computer can help fight Cancer and Alzheimer's! Visit
www.intel.com/cure/

.