[lug] October 10, 2002 - Boulder Linux User Group Meeting

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 16:19:26 MST 2002

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Riddoch <socket at peakpeak.com> writes:

Chris> I *do* think Linux should have a place in the city government
Chris> generally, but I don't know enough of the relevant people in
Chris> the city government to know where to make such a suggestion.

Tom> Any thoughts on this?  Any ideas on where one might begin?
Tom> Anyone else interested in looking into it?

Chris> Good questions. I'm interested, but am in a similar position.
Chris> I certainly wouldn't object to a proposal for BLUG (us) to take
Chris> it upon ourselves as a group to talk to the city about how to
Chris> improve on their existing systems using Linux.

I talked to a friend of mine who is more politically savvy than I.

He suggested what seems like a reasonable approach.  First, find out
the city's needs to see if linux is a fit, and, if so, where.  Also
meet with the IT director and see what he thinks of the idea (the idea
being, if he is anti-free-software, the road becomes much harder).
After that, figure out what needs to be done, approach someone on city
council, etc.

I wonder if having someone from the city come to a BLUG meeting would
be appropriate.  Perhaps it would be too intimidating a venue?  Or too
far outside the group's charter (assuming that this person would be
there to talk about the city's needs and situation, not necessarily
linux-related).

Tom