[lug] How to open menu in gnome/kde

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Dec 9 15:03:51 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 14:50, Andrew R. Diederich wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to make a USB mouse go in Redhat 8.0
> (November KRUD).  Sean put in a good link (
> http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html) at the Krud list last month,
> and I'm following it.
>
> However, CTRL-ALT-BS isn't killing the x server, and I can't figure out
> how
> to logout from gnome to restart the X server.
>
> I figure there has to be something like MS Windows CTRL-ESC (or windows
> key) to bring up the "Start" menu in gnome and KDE.  Anyone know what this
> is?
>
> My real goal is to get the mouse working, but I'd also like this for
> general edification.

Hi Andrew,

As root, running

  telinit 3

will put you in runlevel 3 which should kill all X windows completely.
At that point you can, if you want, edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (the
name under RH/KRUD 7.3 -- may be different in RH/KRUD 8) file by hand or
using some other tool.

Running

  telinit 5

will put you back in runlevel 5 and will re-start the X server with any
new config info that you've set.

Good luck with that USB rodent!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483