[lug] Typesetting Programs

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Dec 12 13:23:30 MST 2002

David Morris said:
> I was wondering what people out there use for typesetting?
> I am looking for a program to create nice formatting for:
>
>     (a) manual text editing using VIM
>     (b) Automatic documentation generation
>
> Note that the end product in both cases will be a printed
> hardcopy *and* a PDF file.  The ability to easily put the
> same document onto a web page is a bonus, but not
> required....a tools that offers more options/better
> formatting that does not have HTML support will be chosen
> over a lesser tools that does.
>
> I have looked at groff/troff, but documentation seems to be
> a bit thin, and generally aimed more at creating man pages
> (and similar) than pretty documents.
>
> TeX/LaTeX was the next obvious choice, and I am slowly
> working through documentation to find out if it will do all
> I need.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?  Good documentation is a
> must as for the auto-documentation task, other people will
> have to make modifications to the generation process.

LyX (http://www.lyx.org/) is the end-all-be-all of document generation as
far as I am concerned.  All the power of LaTeX, and easy to use as a
run-of-the-mill word processor.  Outputs LaTeX, PS, PDF, HTML, DVI, and I
think the kitchen sink.  I haven't taken a good look at the HTML output,
may be crap, not sure.

-Peter