[lug] Typesetting Programs

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Dec 12 15:57:04 MST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:47:01PM -0700, Tkil wrote:

> (Aside: as a developer, I have a personal preference for documentation
> that is *not* in a WYSIWYG format, even machine-readable like PDF.
> PDF still requires dedicated tools -- text-based formats allow me to
> use common tools such as grep and friends.  Having good HTML or SGML
> formats is therefore a worthwhile goal, even if the managers don't
> think so right now -- you said this stuff is going to be used by
> developers for years; make sure it's in a format that they can use
> easily.)

I can only agree with you...and a PDF-style output is only
for a final release (publication) as there are undeniable
benefits to using PDF.  When possible (as the tool I
eventually choose allows), the same documentation will also
be available in a ascii format (at least, if it is data such
as has any reason to be in an ascii format, which not all of
it will be).

--David