[lug] Local DNS required?

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Dec 15 01:13:42 MST 2002

Anders Knudsen wrote:

> Background: my brother owns and manages a furniture store, and just got
> broadband access to his showroom. With this came 5 static IP addresses.
> He already has a domain name, and is using a webhost to serve up a
> static intro page with a real website in the works.
>
> Question: Now, with this domain name, what is the easiest way to get a
> DNS entry to use his new IP address, thereby allowing him to run a web
> server, and a mail server, running linux, locally (in the building?) I
> guess my question is, are there DNS'es out there where you can just have
> your domain name resolved to the IP address you choose? Or, would he
> have to run a proper DNS in the building?
>
> TIA,
> -anders.

Sounds like AT&T broadband, which I use. They won't let you have a
static IP for anything close to the money of a "normal" broadband. But
if you are willing to pay enough, you can do this for access from the
outside world. But if you only wish to show web pages internal to the
local network, then dual-home your NIC's, the 2nd NIC IP would be a
non-routeable IP, like a 192.168.0.x/24 IP, and you would then add
firewall rules to block the outside word from any web server port (and
you will want to block a bunch anyway just to be safe).

On RH 7.x, a way to add a 2nd IP would be to go to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, then copy "ifcfg-eth0" to
"ifcfg-eth0:1", and then edit the file. Edit would include such things as:
DEVICE-eth0:1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255

(The above is just one sample of a non-routed /24)

On RH, run "service network restart" to get it to take effect, and run
"ifconfig" to see if eth0:1 shows up.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com