[lug] /redhat 8.0/ vncserver issues

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Dec 15 21:51:09 MST 2002

Then he said:
> I'm logged in as root. I have tried the :1, and it does not make the
> connection.

We are clearly talking at crossed purposes.

The client (vncviewer on the "win32 box") needs to know the IP and display
number where the VNC server is actually running.  It doesn't matter who
you are logged in as on the windows box.  If you have an account on your
windows box named root, that's fine (and you are a freak :-P ).

It doesn't matter what user runs the vncserver, since it doesn't bind any
low ports.  One generally doesn't want to run X as root for (multiple)
security reasons.  So it only matters insofar as it matters to you what
user you want to be when connected to the server over VNC.

Note also that the clean way to kill off a VNC session is with "vncserver
-kill <X-display>".  If you, for instance, do "killall Xvnc" the next
instance of VNC you start will be at the next display number.  For
instance, if you issue the following commands, only display 5 will be
active:

$vncserver
$vncserver
$killall Xvnc
$vncserver
$vncserver
$vncserver
$vncserver -kill 4

I hope this is written well enough to help, but badly enough to make you
wish you had just read the docs!

Stop the presses.  I just noticed that you said it is saying that the
server is running on localhost.localdomain:1.  Try setting your hostname
and default domain in resolv.conf and starting a new server (make sure to
try to connect to the /new/ server's display number).

BTW, anyone know where the "e" went in resolv.conf?

-Peter

PS: is "local LAN" anything like "NT Technology"?

-P